blogger

Thursday, February 17, 2011

58 days, great week, weekly changes, and family

I love my countdown clock on this blog.. haven't posted in a couple weeks so saw it today when I logged in.. wow 58 days, almost 8 weeks to go. There are good and not so good days when competing, dieting and training at 100% but I have to say this week was pretty cool. Instead of being a solo mission I feel this time around I have more support on the home front. Not that they didn't care, or weren't proud of me, but it felt like just my "thing". I couldn't share it with anyone and have them understand why this was so important.

I'll be honest, there were a lot of days during training for competition 1 & 2 that I dropped the ball on my culinary duties for my family. They would eat out, or order pizza once or twice a week, still overall choosing healthier restaurants and food (fresh city etc) and what was eaten at home and lunches were good healthy meals.. This time around so much different.. I cook all the time, of course for me, but for them too. My meals are entirely different from what they eat, but we still eat together as much as we can. This week so far we've eaten at our dining room table mon-wed, I can honestly say that hasn't happened in a loooong time..

Listen, I'm not trying to paint some picture of the perfect family changed by healthy eating.. Because trust me its not that at all.. Jay worked from home the other day so we had lunch together, so sweet right? Yup, until I went into psycho mode and went off about portion control and choices and discipline blah blah blah... Jay looks at me and says "YOU ARE THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS NAG" He was a little right.. Like we don't need to talk about this all the time. Its just hard not to for me, I love this and think everyone else should be as interested as I am.. But sort of like him talking work stuff, we each sound like Charlie Browns teacher to the other.. Live and let live right??? I have to say he's trying, and making a conscious effort to be more aware.. its not his weight which is the lowest its been since I've known him, its high BP, and other issues that are OMG fixable with proper nutrition and EXERCISE..... baby steps;)

My kids love cooking, and/or shopping with me. We made tacos the other night and not surprising how 3 of our tacos, had significantly less fat, calories and sodium then one taco bell taco.. Olivia helped make our first organic bread in the bread machine.. That thing is just amazing, great feeling to buy all natural ingredients and make your own bread! This morning I made them french toast with the cinnamon raisin bread.. Yummy:)
I don't get to have what they are right now, but it really doesn't bother me. My "diet" doesn't feel like a diet.. I love what I'm eating, and I just feel good. My calories get lower every 2 weeks, minor adjustments as I get closer to the show.. I have moments of insanity, but it passes and I'm ok..

At the end of the day I'm just trying to have my family be healthier, without feeling the need to be restrictive or neurotic (thats my job for 12 weeks). They have everything they love, just cleaner healthier versions.. They have parties at school with "regular" cakes, cookies etc, and they know its ok to have that once in while.. Travis told me a friend at school said "I'll worry about dieting and eating right when I'm 40" but sadly the child obesity rate has tripled in the last 30 years... My hope is to instill good habits now, so they know how to make smart choices when on their own. At the end of the day I'm an advocate for my family, I don't judge others (well maybe a little to myself, just being honest) on what they do for themselves or their kids. Just sad with all the research and info available AND access to healthier choices we are a nation getting fatter and less active with more health issues.. Oh and if I would lobby for anything it would be tax breaks for people living a healthy lifestyle, maintaining healthy weight and other vital stats!


Travis is going to be my guest blogger this week.. He had his own wake up call and wants to share..

1 comment:

  1. You're on a roll girl!! Keep it comin' :). I'm 10 weeks out and feeling very nervous and excited about it all. At times I wonder if the day will ever arrive...I feel like I've been training FOREVER!!! Soon enough...hugs to ya!!

    ReplyDelete